Tuesday 19 August 2014

In the Beginning...

So, I finally started to write a blog.

Ever since my first introduction to the Internet, it’s always been a kind of fantasy of mine to have my own website. I'm sure I'm not the only one who thought this growing up, but I eventually told myself, like most others probably did, that it probably wasn't going to happen (certainly not unless I get super famous or something). But recently, I've been struggling with one of my more surprising pastimes; writing. With both a script and at least 3 novels on the go, I'm currently finding it difficult to get very far with any of them, due to something I have named Transcription Block. No, not Writer’s Block, that suggests a lack of ideas or a subject to write about (I have plenty of those), while what I have is an inability to convert said ideas into text, at least, without it sounding stupid. Anyway, I've figured that the best way to get over this is just to write more regularly, and hopefully transcribing ideas will simply become easier with practice (not that I haven’t had practice). So, what I needed was an excuse to write regular, short articles, with some kind of motivation to keep me on task (like, to pick a completely random example, posting on the Internet). And so, childhood dream in mind, I finally cracked and started writing this blog.

And here you are, reading it.

So, there’s some back-story for you. “And what about you?” I here you not asking from behind your screens because you’re too busy reading this sentence. Well, I guess I should explain a little bit about myself, just so you’re all aware of who you’re dealing with. My name is Nick Prosser, I'm 16 years old and I'm quite interested in films (in case the blog title didn't already imply that). Other main interests include video games, listening to music, and being unproductive (bodes well, I know). In terms of personality, I generally appear cynical and sarcastic on the surface, but I'm actually nice if you get to know me (or, that’s what I've been told anyway). I also identify as being quite funny, although I know several many people who might beg to differ.

And, considering the main subject of this blog, it's probably useful to know that my preferred film genres are Action, Sci-Fi and mild Horror (I'm a bit cowardly), and I generally love any film that can successfully combine all 3 of those elements (Aliens and The Terminator are good examples). Outside of that, I quite like Dramas (City of God, Forrest Gump), Comedy (British or otherwise) and I have a soft spot for anime, the works of Studio Ghibli in particular. Despite that, I’ll always give any film the chance to impress me, especially if it’s got good reviews. Unless it’s a RomCom. Eugh.

So, what can you expect to see from this blog? Well, as the blog name would suggest, there will be a fair amount of long-winded cinema-related posts, but besides that, you can also most likely expect to find posts about gaming, music, technology, interesting current events (be warned, I couldn't give a toss about sports, and even that’s a severe understatement), my social life, and just anything I feel is worth talking about. I can’t promise that I’ll post on a regular schedule (because promising leads to disappointment when I inevitably don’t reach a deadline. Or two.), but I’ll wager that you can probably expect about one post per month (maybe more if you’re lucky or I'm bored).

So, will this blog be any good? Will it help me with my writing and productivity? Or will I give up after writing the first two posts and never speak of it again?


Only time will tell...

No comments:

Post a Comment